Sunday, July 19, 2009

Late night adventures


So I thought I would give myself and the volunteers a little down time. We were all going to go to the movies together. It was a good opportunity to bring along a dog that I am training as a service dog as well. While the one volunteer got the dog ready, she heard some squealing. I quickly went out to the back patio to find several of the dogs on top of another dog. I called them off and they left him but he had quite a few punctures and some lacerations. I believe what happened was the play got too intense and turned into a squabble. The pack has seven members four of which are siblings. I separated the injured boy and looked him over real good. He would be fine for the evening as I coated the wounds with betadine and left him to rest in the bathroom.

It was late when we returned from the show, and I needed to give the one volunteer a ride home. I dropped the others off at the rescue to begin to feed the 6 puppies and I was going to go quickly and check on Coda. Well, when I closed the bathroom door behind me, it seemed to close very tightly. After seeing Coda was fine, I tried to open the door. It was jammed! I knew the volunteer was waiting for me to give her a ride, so I figured she would come in and check on me when I failed to come out. I had left my cell phone in the car and was unable to call either.

One hour and fifteen minutes later!!!!

My other volunteer finally finished feeding all the pups and came to find out what was going on. She discovered the door knob was broken and she had to take it off. After some work we were able to get the door open. It was now almost 1 AM!!

Wow!! I could laugh at the whole thing because I am pretty laid back. By the time I got back home it was quite late, what a night. The next morning Coda went in to the vet to get a look over and shave down the wounds. He was fine, and is healing well. Pack dynamics is such an amazing thing. It is up to us to make sure everyone is safe in the pack when we can not be there and so for now Coda has joined a smaller pack until he is ready to go to his forever home.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you're always talking about me needing to be more patient... Maybe patients isn't all its cracked up to be? X-P

    ReplyDelete